I live in southern California. I just don’t need scarves. I almost never knit them except as gifts. But I had this idea for a scarf pattern. I had one ball of some pretty yarn. The idea for the scarf was born while I was swatching for my South Seas Stole, and I looked forward to knitting it up. I took the yarn and pattern to Montana so I could knit it over Thanksgiving.
- Pattern: Pacific Islands
- Source: my own design
- Yarn: JaggerSpun Zephyr Wool-Silk 2/18, 220 yards, teal
- Needles: US size 5
- Gauge: Approximately 23 stitches x 26 rows to 4 inches in the shell lace stitch (center panel), blocked
- Finished size: 10 x 61 inches (25.4 x 155 cm)
- Elapsed time: November 20 – 28
- Notes: The design is cast on and knit toward the center in two pieces, then grafted together. The cast-on edge makes beautiful points. The border is knit as the same time as the center panel, so it knits up quickly. The lace pattern is easy to memorize. The wrong side rows start and end with a couple garter stitches, and the rest is just purled.
I had a ton of fun knitting up this little scarf. I wrote a quick pattern for it, which I used to knit the scarf. The pattern’s only two pages long, including charts. The pattern’s written so that it can also be used to make a stole.
I seem to have pulled the grafted stitches a little too tight in places (arg), but I think you get the idea of what it’s supposed to look like.
My timing rather sucks, but if you don’t have any Christmas knitting (I know. Silly me.), or you want to throw it all out the window and knit a simple stole instead, please let me know as I’m looking for a test knitter. Since I already knit the scarf, I’m looking for someone to volunteer to knit the stole, which will be approximately 23.5 x 91.5 inches (60 x 232.5 cm); my math needs to be checked, etc. I’d like to get it done this month. I know. Silly, huh? If you have time in December, please let me know. I found someone. Thank you!
Edited to add: I will be distributing this pattern myself, once Wendy is done with me—hopefully some time next week. It will be available by download through my patterns page. If you want me to send you email when the pattern has been released, please let me know, and I’ll add you to the list. Also, if you prefer a print copy instead of download I can do that too, but you’ll need to pay for shipping.
Edited to add: The pattern is available, and ready for immediate download. I am discussing the possibility of having a printed version available through The Loopy Ewe, though nothing has been finalized yet.